The air quality staff at RK & Associates, Inc. (RKA) is experienced in assessing, measuring, and developing odor control strategies for a variety of odor emitting sources. Solutions to odor problems lie in the comprehensive analysis of odor complaints and odor sources. At RKA we employ a stepwise investigatory approach that addresses both the practical and legal ramifications of an odor problem:
- Identify the likely sources of the odor and the odoriferous compounds they may be producing.
- Develop a well-coordinated sampling and analysis scheme.
- Collect field samples at the odor sources and at the site of the complaint.
- Evaluate the odor notes and intensity of the field samples using sensory apparatus and odor panels.
- Identify the odoriferous components of the samples using analytical instrumentation. This information can also be used for risk
assessment associated with the odor emissions.
- Implement odor dispersion models to estimate odor intensity in the impacted community.
- Evaluate existing odor control measures in terms of reducing odor emissions.
- Recommend additional odor control measures to reduce odor complaints and/or satisfy the local regulatory requirements.
- Design/procure/install odor control measures.
Odor science studies at RKA include the use of a trained odor panel and an Olfactometer similar to the one pictured (right). Each panelist "sniffs" each sample to measure the odor threshold. A Butanol Wheel is used to determine odor intensity.